Amlou is to Moroccans what Nutella is to the French, what Peanut Butter is to Americans, or what Vegemite is to the Aussies. It tastes amazing and it’s full of so much nutritional goodness!
A specialty of Southern Morocco and traditionally used as a breakfast item as a spread, it can also be used for snacks such as dip with bread and other foods like crudités (raw veggie sticks), crackers, scones or with pastries. It is made from just roasted almonds, culinary argan oil and honey.
The traditional way of serving Amlou with fresh bread, as well as argan oil dip and delicious Moroccan tea.
This sweet, creamy, thick paste is a healthy alternative to other spreads and dips, due to the natural ingredients and the superfood argan oil.
It’s naturally gluten-free, refined sugar-free, and dairy-free! For a vegan alternative, you could substitute maple syrup or another plant-based natural sweetener with a similar consistency instead of the honey.
Use it as you like! Use it as a spread on toast, a dip for bread and veggies, a topping for your pancakes or scones…anything!
How you like your consistency is up to you. Vary the amount of argan oil you add depending on how paste-like or runny-like you want it (obviously the more oil, the runnier). Vary the amount of honey added depending on how sweet you want it!
(Makes about 350 – 400 ml)
- 250 grams (~1 ¾ cups) roasted, unpeeled almonds (or alternatively around half the amount of 100% roasted almond butter).
- 100-200 ml (1/2 – 1 cup) culinary argan oil.
- 1-3 tablespoons liquid honey (i.e. not solid creamy sort).
- Pinch of salt (optional)
A few things to note:
- Feel free to toast the almonds yourself in the oven or fry pan, or buy them already roasted.
- You will need a food processor or grinder that can handle grinding nuts. If you use equipment not designed for tough food like nuts, you will likely break your blades! Or just buy the almond paste already made :)
- Grind the roasted almonds in a food processor until it is a smooth, fine consistency. The more you process, the smoother it will be. You can decide how far you want it ground based on the consistency you prefer! Once it’s done, transfer it into a bowl.
- Slowly add the argan oil to the almond paste and stir until smooth.
- Once you have a smooth consistency, slowly add the honey and stir until everything is mixed and smooth.
- As an option, you could also stir in a pinch of salt if you like.
Voila, it’s ready to eat! Enjoy!
As you can see, our ingredient measurements are just a range. Amlou really can be made however you want it to be, whether it is like a chunky paste, a runny dip, super sweet or not. Process for longer, add more or less argan oil or honey…Enjoy experimenting with it!
Store the Amlou in a tightly closed glass jar in a cool, dark space.
Shake or stir it before each use as the oil will naturally separate from the almond paste with time.
Read More: Health Benefits of Pure Culinary Argan Oil