I discovered this cake by following Teresa Cutter/The Healthy Chef on Instagram and was looking for healthy comfort food during lockdown. Most of my friends were baking but using sugar and unhealthy fats so I went on a venture for healthy versions of delicious cakes. This one became our family staple. My mum made it and loved it and now my 1 year-old always makes the cutest ‘yum’ noises when I make it.
It has almost a kilo of apples, full of vitamin C, fibers and antioxidants. I use argan oil as it’s the healthiest oil you can use. It’s extremely good for baby’s brain development and a super oil for adults, helping to prevent cancer, diabetes and great for heart health. I personally don’t eat refined sugars and my go to sweetener is stevia, however Teresa uses maple syrup and it’s very good too!
Apple Tea Cake with Argan Oil Recipe
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
Serves: 8-10 servings / Makes 1 cake
- 3 organic eggs
- 100 ml (3 fl oz) argan oil for eating (you can substitute part of this with olive oil if needed)
- 100 ml (3 fl oz) pure maple syrup / or 1 cup stevia for sugar-free options
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 240 g (2 cups / 8 oz) wholemeal spelt flour (or oat flour or gluten-free alternative)
- 750 g (24 oz) golden delicious or pink lady apples, finely diced into cubes with the skin on
- PREHEAT your oven to 160°C (320°F) fan-forced.
- COMBINE eggs, argan oil, maple syrup, baking powder, cinnamon and vanilla into a mixing bowl.
- ADD flour and mix through into a smooth batter.
- FOLD in the finely diced apples and mix through until all the apples are coated with the batter.
- POUR into a prepared loaf tin, lined with baking paper.
- BAKE for 60 minutes until cooked through then remove from the oven to cool.
- SERVE warm or at room temperature.
What makes argan oil for cooking a great substitute for other oils?
Argan oil for cooking or argan oil for eating is a great substitute for other oils because it's one of the healthiest and most natural oils there is. Argan oil is composed of essential fatty acids that are great for the heart, help prevent digestion issues and high blood pressure and cholesterol. It also contains micronutrients that aid with skin regeneration and healing.
To know more about this amazing argan oil for cooking, feel free to check our Ultimate Guide to Argan Oil for Eating!
To get your argan oil for cooking, shop now here!
And if you'd love to get news from us straight to your inbox, please subscribe here. Then check your email to see a simple thank you from us. ;)