Paleo, Gluten Free and Dairy free!
These argan oil waffles are perfect for those weekend mornings when you feel inspired to make a special breakfast that’s both delicious and healthy.
For those who don’t have a waffle maker and don’t feel the urge to rush out and buy one just for this recipe… never fear, this can also be made as pancakes!
We are quite a fan of wholesomeyum.com recipes, so we’ve adapted their Keto Paleo Almond Flour Waffles Recipe. Pretty much ANY dessert recipe you find with butter or oil, you can substitute for argan oil to add a delicious nutty flavour. We encourage you to give it a try. :)
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Makes 2 large waffles (or 12 mini pancakes)
- 1 large egg (whites and yolk separated)
- ½ cup blanched almond flour
- 2 tbsp sweetener of your choice
- ½ tsp gluten-free baking powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp argan oil (alternative: 1tbsp argan oil + 1 tbsp butter or coconut oil)
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk (or coconut milk or other milk of choice)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Maple syrup or honey
- Natural yoghurt
- Fresh fruit
Method (for waffles):
- Preheat the waffle iron to high heat and grease lightly.
- Beat the egg white in a medium bowl, until stiff peaks form and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the almond flour, sweetener, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- Warm up the almond butter in the microwave if it is not yet a runny consistency and then mix well with the argan oil. (Note if you are using butter or coconut oil, melt this in the microwave or on the stove before mixing). Add this mixture to the flour bowl.
- Add the milk, egg yolk and vanilla extract to the mixture. Stir until smooth.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the batter. It should be mixed well enough to not leave parts of whites separate from the batter, however be careful not to over mix! The batter still should be light and fluffy.
- Transfer half of the batter into the lightly greased waffle iron. Close and cook until steam stops escaping, about 5 minutes. Unplug and let cool slightly in the waffle iron to make the waffle easier to take out. (It should crisp up as it cools). Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Optional: for even crispier waffles, place them in the toaster or oven for a few minutes once you’ve taken them out of the waffle iron.
Method (for pancakes):
- Follow steps 2 - 6 as above.
- Prepare a pan on the stove on medium-low heat, lightly oiled.
- Drop the batter onto the pan to form small circles. Cook for approximately 2 minutes. Flip and cook the other side for ~2 minutes. Cook for longer if required, until both sides are golden brown. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
Serve with whatever toppings of your choice! Enjoy!
Adapted from the recipe: https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/keto-paleo-almond-flour-waffles-recipe/