This butternut squash recipe is a delicious and super simple side dish, perfect for a big family or friend gathering for Christmas! It doesn't require much cooking skills, so for those not too confident in the kitchen... this one is for you!
We love to eat this as a side to a meat or seafood main, or it can be a main vegetarian dish by itself, which would go great with a small green salad.
It's super healthy, vegetarian and gluten free. It can easily be made vegan by skipping the feta cheese.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 1 butternut squash
- 2-3 tablespoons healthy argan oil for cooking
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped
- 150g feta cheese
- Pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
- Pinch of paprika
- Small bunch of coriander leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees C.
- Cut the butternut squash in half and remove the seeds. Place the squash halves on an oven tray, face up.
- Sprinkle the crushed/chopped garlic on the squash and add salt and pepper to your liking. Lightly drizzle 1-2 tablespoons of the argan oil on top.
- Place the squash in the oven for 45 minutes until tender.
- Remove from oven and crumple the feta cheese on top of the squash. Place back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove again from oven and drizzle the remaining argan oil on top. Sprinkle the chilli flakes, paprika and coriander on top of the squash for presentation. (Note, you can skip the chilli flakes if you want!)
- Serve hot or cold. Enjoy!!
If you're looking for other healthy recipes that can be made vegan, check our Moroccan Carrot and Argan Oil Salad recipe.