With social distancing and self-isolation happening worldwide, now is the perfect time to be experimenting with delicious home-cooked meals. One of our homemade dinner staples: Moroccan tagines! 😋 Not only are they super delicious and healthy, but they're also actually super easy to make. You don't have to actually own a tagine pot to be able to cook one!
We love this chicken and green bean tagine all year round. The drizzle of argan oil at the end really gives it an extra flavour boost! Serve it with a lovely side salad and/or a bowl of fresh couscous (or rice).
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45-60 minutes
Serves: 4-6 servings
- 1kg chicken thighs
- 700g green beans
- A few tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of argan oil for cooking
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 brown onion
- 1 teaspoon of ginger, grated
- A pinch of saffron
- 1 whole large tomato, chopped
- 1-1.5L of stock (chicken or vegetable)
- Salt, to taste
Check another of our recipes: Easy to Make Family Roast Chicken Dish with Culinary Argan Oil
1. First in a large pot on medium heat, fry the onion, garlic, ginger, salt and half the saffron in olive oil.
2. Add the chicken thighs to the pot and pour in enough stock to completely cover the meat. Note: with a tagine you don't keep stirring the contents, but rather leave everything as it is whilst it is cooking. So as you add ingredients, place it neatly and evenly as a new layer.
3. Simmer on medium heat until the meat is cooked, then add the beans and leave to gently simmer until the water evaporates down to a light thick sauce (about 45 minutes to an hour).
4. Roughly 10 minutes before the end, add in the chopped tomato.
Note: if you need to speed up the evaporation, you can decant some of the water into another smaller pot, set to high temperature. Once it reduces down to a thicker sauce, transfer this back into the tagine pot.
5. During the last few minutes of cooking, drizzle 3 tablespoons of argan oil over the tagine and add the rest of the saffron.
Serve with a side salad, couscous or rice. 🍽️Enjoy!