This slice is a perfect dessert to whip up in under half an hour, and is honestly a little slice of heaven. It is a much healthier alternative to the classic caramel chocolate slice or a (very processed and additive-filled) twix bar. It is refined-sugar free, gluten free, dairy free, paleo and vegan!
We love the original Twix Bar recipe from @rachaelsgoodeats, however we had to make our delicious argan oil twist to add the unique hazelnut-ty vibe, and to minimise our coconut oil intake.
We use entirely argan oil as the oily base as it tastes the most delicious and is the healthier option! But if you need, it’s completely fine to use 50% argan oil and 50% melted coconut oil, or whichever ratio you prefer.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Fridge/Freezer time: 1-2 hours
Serves: 8-10 servings
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup argan oil
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or honey (warmed)
- ½ cup almond butter (or any other nut butter… we love hazelnut butter as well for a Ferrero Rocher flavour!)
- ¼ cup argan oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 dark chocolate bar
- 1 tbsp argan oil
- ¼ tsp flakey sea salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C and line a baking dish (approx. 20x20cm size) or loaf tin with baking paper.
- Mix the coconut flour, almond flour, argan oil and warmed honey/maple syrup in a large bowl. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Pack down the mixture into the baking dish so it is evenly spread and flat.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until it is golden brown on top. Remove when done and let it cool completely.
- Whilst the shortbread layer cools: in a saucepan over the stove, combine almond butter, argan oil, vanilla, maple syrup/honey and sea salt on medium-low heat.
- Heat until completely liquid and whisk together ingredients (approx. 2-3 minutes).
- Remove from heat and let it cool completely.
Making the slice, part 1:
- Once the shortbread and caramel layers have completely cooled, pour the caramel sauce over the shortbread layer, spreading it out evenly. Set it in the freezer until it is completely hard (from 30 minutes to 2 hours).
- When it is nearly time to take the first two layers from the freezer, break up the chocolate bar into a small bowl and add the argan oil. Warm in microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until completely melted. (Or melt it over the stove).
Making the slice, part 2:
- Once the shortbread and caramel layers have completely hardened, remove from freezer and pour the melted chocolate layer on top, spreading evenly.
- Sprinkle the flakey sea salt (optional) and set back in the fridge for at least 10 minutes to harden.
- Once completely hardened, remove the slice from the dish by pulling the sides of the paper. Lay flat on a cutting board and cut into slices using a large sharp knife.
- Serve straight away after taking it from the fridge. If left out too long, it will start to melt and become quite soft. (If this happens, quickly pop it back in the fridge or freezer to re-set).
Store in the fridge or freezer for several weeks. Enjoy!! : )