What comes to mind when you hear the words apple and pie?
Perhaps, a memory of a sweet afternoon in grandma’s house or a welcoming scent in the kitchen with mum preparing breakfast? Whatever your memory is of this delish snack - we hope it’s of sunny afternoons, nostalgic mornings, beautiful rainbows or just pure joy.
And with that in mind, we want to share our version of this delicious long-standing recipe.
We know that apple pies are a classic snack or dessert (that could be full of sugar or whatnots), but the amazing thing about it is that they can be very healthy too! Especially when you use the right kind of ingredients. This is what we love to do at youforher - giving the classics a healthy kind of twist. This time, apple pies with argan oil and no refined sugar.
Making Our Healthy Rainbow Apple Pie with Argan Oil
Why is it called the Rainbow Apple Pie?
Other than the colourful fruit layer, it was named by co-founder, Hind, as one of her favourite treats to celebrate her own Rainbow Baby. So we want to dedicate this dessert to all the mamas of rainbow babies, as well as to all the people from the LGBTQ community celebrating this month of pride. 🌈
As we all know with beautiful rainbows, there of course lies a pot of gold at the end, no? In this case it’s a drizzle of healthy liquid gold. ;)
Note this recipe does include more than ⅓ cup of argan oil. We know for some people this may not be possible to use this much, as it is quite a deluxe oil! If need be, swap the ⅓ cup of argan oil for coconut oil (or make a mix of the two). We definitely recommend keeping the few tablespoons of argan oil to drizzle on the fruits at the end though - it won’t taste the same without it!
Read more: Culinary argan oil recipes here >>
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10-12 minutes
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 1 cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup pure culinary argan oil (or coconut oil if you need)
- 3 tablespoons sweetener: stevia, honey, coconut sugar or other sweetener of choice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 apples (or 2 pears)
- Any additional favourite fruit, such as fresh berries or apricots for added colour
- A few tablespoons of additional pure culinary argan oil, to drizzle on top
- A few tablespoons of additional stevia, honey or maple syrup
- Prepare a round pie dish, lined with baking paper and preheat the oven to 160 degrees C.
- In a medium bowl, mix the almond flour, argan oil, sweetener, and salt until well combined.
- Lay the dough into the pie dish, using a spatula to spread it flat and evenly in the dish.
- Place in the oven for 10-12 mins, until the top is golden in colour. Once cooked, leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, cut up the apples into thin slices (leaving the skin on). If you are also adding apricots or other solid fruits that need cooking, slice these up too.
- Fry the fruits in a frying pan with butter in medium heat. Sprinkle the additional sweetener (stevia, honey, or maple syrup) on top during frying to add extra sweetness, as desired.
- Ensure to flip over the fruits to cook both sides. To check when they are done, stick a fork in the fruit to check the tenderness - it shouldn’t be hard, but not to the point of super soft either - find the happy medium. :)
- Bring the fruits to a bowl and drizzle with 1-3 tablespoons of argan oil. Gently stir to ensure the oil is covered on all the fruit.
- Neatly place the apples and other fruit on top of the pie, in a decorative manner. We love adding fresh berries as the final touch!
And that’s it! Enjoy your Rainbow Apple Pie. :)
What do you get when you add argan oil in your apple pie?
The way argan oil is created is actually one of the reasons why it’s super healthy. Pure argan oil, when processed naturally, as cold-pressed virgin oil, is chemical-free and nutrient-packed. We like to think of it as one of the ancient superfoods that Australians are yet to really discover.
When argan oil is pure, the nutrients inside are powerful. Key nutrients include tocopherols (vitamin E), which is great for making your skin and hair healthy, and essential fatty acids (omegas 3, 6 and 9), which are amazing for your heart health. It can even help with weight management and digestion issues, among so many other health benefits!
So the next time you bake or cook a dish, try to give it a twist and drizzle a bit of culinary argan oil on top. ;)
Note, always buy the pure culinary argan oil (cold-pressed and virgin)!
Want to know more? Check the health benefits of eating argan oil here >>.