Inspired from Nargisse Benkabbou in her book, "My Moroccan Food".
This cake is dangerously addictive and super healthy. A great baking alternative to your banana bread, and has the exotic Moroccan twist with the mixture of argan oil and almond flour. Perfect for paleo and keto diets – it’s packed with healthy protein, fiber, and good fats coming from the almonds, pistachio, and argan oil for eating.
Very easy and quick to make and will make your family and friends asking for more.
Pistachio, Orange and Argan Oil Flourless Loaf Cake
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35-40 minutes
Serves: 8-10 servings / Makes 1 cake
- 250 g unsalted, shelled pistachio nuts
- 100g ground almonds or almond flour
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 100ml argan oil for cooking (you can substitute part of this for olive oil if needed)
- 3 tablespoons orange juice (freshly squeezed is best!)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 150 g stevia or coconut sugar or brown sugar
- Finely grated zest of 1 large orange
- ½ heaped teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat your oven to 180°C. Lightly oil a 900g loaf tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Tip the pistachios into a food processor and pulse until ground to a flour consistency, but take care not to over grind them, otherwise, they could turn into pistachio butter. Transfer them into a bowl.
- Mix the egg yolks, argan oil, orange juice, and vanilla extract together in a large bowl until smooth.
- To the ground pistachios bowl, add the remaining ingredients, except the egg whites, and mix together. Then tip this into the wet mixture and stir to combine, making sure that all the dry ingredients are moist.
- Using a hand-held electric whisk, whisk the egg whites in a separate large bowl until stiff white peaks. Gently fold into the cake mixture with a large metal spoon.
- Spread the cake mixture in the prepared tin and bake for 35-40 mins or until the cake is golden and feels spongy to the touch. Insert a skewer into the center of the cake, it should come out a little moist and sticky.
- Remove from the oven and leave the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out, slice and serve.
And that's it, enjoy!
Order your pure argan oil for cooking via our website at youforher.com.
For other yummy baked recipes, feel free to check our Food Blog. We have other healthy recipes that you and the family can enjoy!
What to check when buying your pure argan oil for cooking or eating?
Here are the things you need to check to know that you are buying pure argan oil:
- Colour: Pure argan oil's colour should be light golden yellow.
- Label: The label should only have one ingredient and that is Argan Oil or Argania spinosa kernel oil. If it has other ingredients, it is highly likely that it is not a pure argan oil product which means that you may not be getting all the benefits a quality pure argan oil gives. Mentions of other nutrients or components like linoleic acid, linolenic acid, oleic acid, stearic acid, palmitic acid, myristic acid, squalene, vitamin E and tocopherols are actually the natural components of the oil and that's alright.
- Consistency: Pure argan oil should be silky, smooth, and non-sticky. It should also be not over-watery.
- Proof of Quality on the Label: Argan oil can only be made in Morocco. If it is not, the way the oil must have been created through a solvent extraction method using industrial machines. This process does not create the same high-quality oil as the manual process by Berber women.
If you have other questions regarding this super Moroccan oil, feel free to send us a message at email@example.com.
And as a gift, enjoy 10% discount when you join our newsletter today! Just subscribe through this link. ;)